Vietnam Coffee Filter for Pourover

For the coffee I make of pour-over type, this vietnam filter is no good. 

My coffee grounds are slightly large in a pour-over. To reduce flow of water, I had the pull up filter plate with handle on top of the filter that is fitted to body. Also since the holes are larger in a vietnam filter, I thought having coffee ground over the two filters would discourage coffee ground from passing through into the cup. And it did help. But coffee is quite mild despite pouring water very slowly. Aroma is fine but extraction is low. 

Vietnam filters have a flat bottom as against conical ones used for pourovers. So perhaps water passed through too quickly. A conical filter forces water to come together as it approaches bottom even if the filter was positioned laterally. For the same quantity of coffee, this shape also increases the height of the bed allowing water to stay in contact with coffee longer. 

In vietnam filter the bed is flat. So even if I pour slow, the amount of time it brews actually is not short. One way I could improve the contact time brew time, is to have finer grind at the risk of 'some' sediment in the cup!

Comments