Drinking Water in thr Morning

A well-established belief is that drinking water in the morning is good for health. Has it been proven by a scientific study? I don't know. The problem with studies of this kind in medicine is that people come with different genetics, different other behaviors and all. It is not easy to conclude anything with one hundred percent assurance. That is why very large population and very long duration studies are more reliable than several of those smaller studies often conducted.

But anyway, one easy method for me is to check whether I can feel anything better by drinking water in the morning. I come with the same background before and after the study after all. And if I feel or observe something, that's a bit greater assurance of the conclusion. It is yet not perfect, but close.

I do not like the very idea of drinking water before I brushed my teeth. Further, my first sip that touches my tongue has to be something hot. That said, I did find positive feelings when I had water in the morning. If I drank some water as soon as I woke up before going to the bathroom and brushing teeth, my stomach felt satisfied. I can actually observe the satiation not only in the stomach but in the mind too. Less likely that it was purely psychological. Whether it helps bowel movement is debatable though. Several times I felt it made no difference.

The urge to drink coffee soon after I had come out of the bathroom seemed less. I wouldn't be looking forward so eagerly for the coffee. On the other hand, right from the moment of waking up from sleep, it is the thought of having a wonderful self-made speciality beans coffee that motivates me to get out of bed. As much as I do enjoy the coffee when I have one finally, this urge that I would have is less than when I did not drink water in the morning. Not only physiologically but also mentally, I feel more content when I drink water in the morning. I get convinced that I was not making it up. That said, the reality is that I drink water soon after I wake up only a few times.

It is nearly a similar experience even when I would have water just before making the coffee. In this case the wait between coffee sip and drinking of water is only the duration to make the coffee, which is about 10 minutes. I think the acids that had built up in the stomach during the night are somehow eased by drinking water. I notice that my urge for a hot cup of coffee actually stems from the body's need for hydration. Surely a cup of speciality coffee is more enjoyable for the palate than plain room-temperature water. But the felt need was hydration in reality, I suspect!

Comments