An Evolution I Can't See


I have realized that I am evolving and could be helping human beings become smarter. But it is so small that I can't see it.

Human bodies are vastly complex and sophisticated when compared to any other living being we know of. Yesterday, someone was talking about our lack of exact symmetry if we were split by a vertical line. True—from our left brain to right brain, and how our hair grows across the body from left to right, we are distinctly asymmetrical.

Our left brain functions for analytical and rational aspects, while the right handles emotional and, shall I say, intuitive aspects of our thinking. Having such a dichotomy helps us survive better.

Of all the things in our body, our brains do the most to help us survive. It has been evolving over millions of years so that we could survive longer and better. If we look back thousands of years, we have improved our body only to a very small degree.

But if we compare how we live today—even compared to just 5 years ago, when we did not have as much YouTube and Artificial Intelligence—they are vastly different. What appears as tiny technological progress has actually impacted our lives enormously.

All this is contributed by a tiny evolution of the brain. All human beings, through the experience they gain from cause-and-effect, become smarter for next time. These experiences become learning and perhaps establish permanent neural connections in the brain. They propagate down to the next generation through invisible genes. What was a "learning" for us becomes common sense for them. They start their lives from an elevated stage.

Each generation becomes smarter than the previous one, even if it sometimes does not appear so to the previous generation. If nothing else in the body evolves—at least the most powerful organ of our body, the brain—we are evolving with each generation.

Through cross-breeding in various communities, we are helping the entire mankind evolve together.

Comments